Addiction to gambling is a disease which can be seen in certain individuals and certain conditions. It can be seen in situations where the addicted individual can think of nothing other than gambling. This way, the individual withdraws from their normal life style, becomes an antisocial person who has only one goal – to gamble. According to researchers, addiction to gambling is a pathological disease which develops on a psychological basis and can lead to very serious, negative consequences. Gambling addictions can be seen with many different types of gambling games. Roulette bets, different poker games and other casino games can also lead to a gambling addiction. Betting on different sports such as football, basketball, horse racing and others can also be cause for a gambling addiction. All of the aforementioned games are available online and nowadays almost anyone can try them out. Gambling addiction is seen in individuals who bet their money on a particular type of gambling game and continue betting without thinking of anything else. This way the addiction develops and the psyche of the given individual as well as that individual become more and more dependent.
What are the symptoms of a gambling addiction?
Gambling addictions, as well as other deviations, have its symptoms which are the clearest signs of the existence of such a dependency. Let us mention the most obvious symptoms of a gambling addiction:
- Desire for betting- this symptom is very clear in addicted people, because all they can think about is betting their money.
- Uncontrollable behavior- with this symptom, you can see a lack of control which can lead to non-stop betting mainly caused by consecutive losses.
- The “chase” phenomenon – in gambling addiction, this is a definition for the desire to restore one’s accumulated losses. With this symptom the addicted individual bets more and more money so as to restore their losses but in reality the individual engages in a non-stop marry-go-round where the losses get bigger and bigger.
- Taking out a loan for betting – if a given individual takes out a loan in order to start betting and double the money then it is very likely that a gambling addiction is pushing the individual to such actions.
- Borrowing money – this symptom is similar to the aforementioned but here the addicted begins borrowing money from friends and family with one goal in mind – to bet.
- Lies and deceit – these symptoms appear when an individual wants to continue betting while hiding the truth about lost funds and the duration of gambling games they play. Also deceit can be seen when one’s goal is to acquire money to use for gambling.
These are the clearest and most easy-to-see symptoms which a given individual exhibits when under the influence of a gambling addiction. Remember that close friends and family are the immediate safety nets for an addicted individual.
Which people are prone to addiction?
It’s hard to say exactly which people are prone to gambling addictions because gambling, as an activity, is allowed in many countries in the world and is available for those who are of legal age. That’s why it can’t be said that all who bet or gamble in any way are addicted to gambling. Betting and gambling, as a whole, should be for fun and pleasure and they should not lead to a gambling addiction. There are people who rarely bet with this goal in mind – to have fun. With such people the danger of gambling becoming an addiction is far too small. There are also people who bet every day but are also not addicted because they bet responsibly and only as much as they can stand to lose; in other words, they control their bets.
When bets control the person, that’s when we can say it’s a gambling addiction. It doesn’t matter how old you are or what sex you are, gambling addictions can occur in men and women of all ages and one of the main causes of this is depression. This is the type of depression which pushes the addicted individual to bet in order to deviate and forget for a moment that which is making them depressed, but in reality gambling turns into that person’s way of life and begins to interfere with his/her normal way of life.
Also, scientists have proven multiple times that many people who have had problems with depression in their early years eventually become addicted, to gambling, drugs, alcohol or something else. Another fact which is not to be overlooked is that if there is an addicted individual in the family then it is very likely that later generations will be prone to gambling or some other addiction. This is because a child or teenager feels neglected and that pushes them to become addicted. There are people who live to gamble, betting for hours and years on end, but they are professionals. One can’t see any gambling addictions with such people because their goal is to win from gambling and then stop for a moment. If they lose they don’t rush into chasing what they’ve lost, but rather, they wait, prepare themselves and only then they start another game. They are professional gamblers.
Consequences of a gambling addiction
A gambling addiction can lead to a ton of very bad consequences for the addicted individual. Let us mention the most popular ones which can be seen with people addicted to gambling:
- Limiting of social contacts – this appears when an addicted individual slowly loses interest in their friends and real life. The individual starts existing in their own world when he/she believes they are in control when in reality they are the one being control since their only though is gambling.
- Family problems – this is a very distinctive issue with those who are addicted to gambling and it is associated with numerous money problems and fights started by the individual so he/she can extricate money from family or sell something of value so as to have money to gamble. Another consequence can be divorce or destruction of family values due to a continuous need to gamble.
- Thefts – another consequence which can be caused by an addiction to gambling. At first the addicted individual starts stealing from those closest to him and then moves on to strangers.
- Crimes – stealing from strangers is crime enough but the individual can begin using force or other such methods to steal money or valuable items which to sell and use for gambling.
- Physical consequences – addiction to gambling can lead to numerous health problems such as migraines and heart attacks.
- Bankruptcy – at one point addiction to gambling leads to a bankruptcy because the addicted spends all of his/her money, then money from the family and at the end, one he/she has sold all possessions of value in order to have money to gamble, he/she loses them as well. And that’s how addiction to gambling leads to a full-on bankruptcy.
- Suicide – of course this is an incredibly unpleasant and unwanted act but it is among the consequences of a gambling addiction. There are cases where people who are addicted to gambling go as far as to take their own life after they have lost all of their money, friends and family.
Each one of these consequences is unwanted. But, with a growing gambling addiction in a certain person, the problems and consequences with get bigger and bigger. Remember that online betting as well as any other kind of gambling must be for fun and one must always gamble responsibly because the consequences of an addiction to gambling games are very unpleasant and they can ruin a normal life.
How do we fight a gambling addiction?
The most important step on the road to recovery which must be taken by someone who is addicted to gambling is to admit to the problem. The addicted individual must admit to himself that there is a problem and then admit it to those closest to him/her that he/she is addicted to gambling and in need of help. Always remember that your truest support and strongest foundation of recovery is family and close friends.
It’s necessary that the addicted individual seek professional help from a psychiatrist who will guide him/her and point him/her in the right direction. Treatment for the addicted individual must include factors from the person’s normal life like getting back in touch with his/her social contacts, fit in with different groups of people, even those who are on the same boat – seeking help for a gambling addiction. Very wide-spread are meetings for people with similar problems which help each other with the fight against addiction to gambling games.
It is very important that an individual keep away from any type of gambling while he is in recovery and his/her will must be very strong as to lead him/her on the road to recovery and all of that combined with the faith and strength which family can provide can contribute greatly to a successful recovery of a gambling addiction.
Are there facilities that can help with gambling addictions?
Gambling – help and treatment (picture)
Yes, in a number of European countries there are psychiatric clinics and facilities dedicated to helping with addictions. At these places you can get professional help to pull you out from the unpleasant world of gambling addictions.
In almost every country in Europe there are national facilities for specialized help with gambling addictions. Aside from that, on the sites mentioned below, you will find a special list of all such facilities in the United Kingdom and other European countries where treatment is offered in the form of a Therapeutic Community, which is among the main types of treatment for gambling addictions.
The work of clinics which help with the overcome of gambling addictions usually include lengthy psychiatric therapies which help the addicted individual come to terms with what he/she is actually doing and how serious it is.
The therapies last for different periods of time and depending on the severity of the addiction they can last as long as 2 years. In these therapies the families of the addicted individual play a huge role and there are certain visitation days so the recovering individual can receive maximum support and fight the addiction of gambling games.
10 advices from Betenemy.com to help you dodge a gambling addiction
Betenemy’s team is strictly against gambling addictions and completely supports the thesis that betting should be for pleasure and fun. With the following 10 pieces of advice we will try to guide you in the right direction so you can dodge a gambling addiction.
1. Control your bets
Each time when you are betting, especially if you have been doing it for a long time, do not give in to the bets, letting them control you. Remember that you deice how, when, and how much to bet. If you are always in control then you will not have any problems with a gambling addiction.
2. Bet for pleasure and responsibly
Make all kinds of bets for fun. Do not go in with the goal of becoming very wealthy right away. Keep to the fun side of betting which will make you happy if you win and if you lose you will not be pushed to place more bets in order to recover your losses. Always know your limit when placing bets.
3. Don’t bet more than you can stand to lose
Don’t get to that point where you work an entire month for your paycheck and after you’ve gotten it you waste it away in a couple of days on betting. Set a limit for yourself which will be fully aligned with your current family status and budget and do not get tempted to raise that limit. This way you will be able to control your losses and you won’t bet more than what you’ve set aside for a given moment.
4. Do not give into your emotions
This is very important when you are betting because, usually, a lot of people, once they lose a bet, will immediately dive into more so as to recover their losses and they make that decision due to their emotions. This is why you should always control your emotions and remember that every decision you make under the influence of emotions will be wrong.
5. Immediately seek help if necessary
If you feel like you are turning into someone addicted to gambling or if your family members are hinting that you are going down a dangerous road, do not hesitate to seek professional help because the sooner you get treatment the better it will be for you and your family.
6. Do not resort to taking out loans to bet
Do not start borrowing money in order to gamble. This will send you on a whirl especially if right off the bat you accumulate serious losses after which the addiction and chasing after your lost money can lead to serious consequences.
7. Do not put betting and gambling, as a whole, in first place
Remember that in life there are much more important things than gambling such as your family and friends. Always pay more attention to them than you would to gambling because they will bring the truly important moment of your life.
8. Prepare for your bets
Do not dive blindly into bets because the chance of a win a way too small. On the internet there is plenty of information about betting which can great help you prepare. Take advantage of such information and always be well prepared when you’re betting so you don’t reach the moment when the losses will amount to a greater sum than what you have.
9. Be social
Always choose to be among people instead of sitting and thinking what to bet on. Have fun and don’t think only about betting and gambling. Do not let that be a priority in your life. Let it be just for fun.
10. Enjoy life
Be active in your life and enjoy the beautiful moment it beings. Have fun with those closest to you and always remember which things are most valuable and are worth living your life normally.
We hope that we this article we are able to help anyone who feels they are addicted to gambling and who wants to know precisely what this disease is and how to dodge it. Betenemy’s team has made sure to gather the most important information of gambling addictions and how to present them. We wish you pleasant moment at our website and do not forget that bets must be for fun and must have limits which will not interfere with your normal life.