Which are the TOP bookmakers in Sweden and where to bet safely?
In order to help you with the selection of an online betting website, we provide a table with some of the best bookmakers for Sweden. The sites are checked and approved from many punters, so we recommend them:
- Population: According to the Swedish census, the estimated population is around 9.995 million people. In fact, it is expected that the population of the country will reach 10 million people by 2020.
- Active players: As per the statistics of Mediavision, 55% of the total population count were active gamblers. Also, these people were in the age group of 18 to 74.
- Currency: For most gambling websites in Sweden, the Swedish Krona is used. Of course, many sites also use the Euro as a currency. However, the Krona is still the main currency of local gambling websites as well as international websites with a Swedish proxy.
- Regulated gambling products: When the Swedish Gambling Act was finalized in 2018, they listed the gambling products that were legal and regulated. These are slots and table games, online poker tables, bingo, lotteries, sports betting, and skill games.
- Operator types: Licenses are offered to both online and land-based operators under the new Swedish Gambling Act. This is especially true for online sports betting.
- Designated authority: After the gambling act was done, the Swedish Gambling Authority became the designated regulatory body for sports betting and casinos.
- Status: Online betting and casinos are legal and regulated in Sweden.
Top 3 Foreign Bookmakers in Sweden
Important things to know about betting sites in Sweden
While Sweden isn’t as known as the UK when it comes to gambling, the robust economy does make the country a hub for online sports betting websites as well as online casinos. With the recent passing of a gambling act in 2018, Sweden has solidified its gambling environment, making it possible for both local and offshore casinos to blossom. Let’s take a look at the existing structure of the betting scene in Sweden.
- Betting environment
Gambling in Sweden is legal, so every online bookmaker which has a desire to operate in that market should only receive a license.
While we believe that the 3 bookmakers that we mentioned above are the best, there are still others that do come close. Some of the other competitors that can give the three choices a run for their money include William Hill, 1xbet, and Bet365.
The operators that you can find in Sweden include both land-based and online operators. This also includes offshore operators that enter the Swedish market.
- Active players
55% of the total Swedish population are active gamblers.
- Key info for players in Sweden
One of the exciting things to know about Swedish players is that they like ice hockey. That’s why this sport is one of the most popular in the country along with football and even horse racing.
- Gambling taxes and players’ safety
There are some tax implications in the gambling industry that you need to take note of. There is an 18% tax on the gross revenue of gambling operators. Also, winnings on bets made on offshore sites have a 30% tax attached to them. However, winnings on bets made on local sites or websites from countries in the EU are tax exempt.
Sports Betting in Sweden: How to choose the right bookmaker?
If you were a citizen of Sweden who wanted to join a Sweden sports betting website, how will you choose the best one? We have a list of criteria here that you can follow. You must only select the betting websites that have these things:
- Fully issued license from the proper regulatory body
- Accreditation like from eCORGA
- Good reputation
- Quality betting products
What kind of odds format is used in Sweden?
More often than not, the odds format used in Swedish gambling websites is the decimal format. However, there are some that offer the option to have fractional odds.
Available betting markets in most bookmakers
As mentioned above, ice hockey is very popular among Swedish players, so you can expect ice hockey to be readily available in most bookmakers. Other than that, punters from Sweden also have other popular sports like football, tennis, table tennis, rugby, golf, and horse racing.
The available betting options on different sports range from popular markets like match winners, total goals and handicaps to options like correct score, first goalscorer of the game and others.
Overall, the gambling websites offered to the Swedish market provide an excellent user experience. This is also true for the offshore ones because these ones are international brands and cater to many different countries.
Bonuses and promotions for players from Sweden
Bonuses and promotions are often offered to Swedish players to entice or encourage them to join the platforms. These come in the form of free bets, cash bonuses, and more. Other than welcome bonuses, there are also many other bonuses for existing players that promote loyalty for the website.
All in all, Swedish players enjoy these bonuses and benefit a lot from the free gifts that most gambling websites provide.
Live Betting, Live Streaming & Cash Out Features
Live betting is present in pretty much all the gambling websites in Sweden. Live betting is the more exciting aspect of sports betting since it lets you get in on the action while it’s happening. Some of the other cool live features that you may see in these gambling websites include a live stream of the game and a cash out feature. As you may have known, the cash-out feature is a risk management function that allows you to pull out of an existing bet even before the event finishes.
Online Casinos in Sweden
Yes, online casinos are legal in Sweden. However, the Swedish Gambling Authority is very strict when it comes to regulating online casinos. That said, they make sure that online casinos go through a lot of scrutinies before a license is granted.
Available methods for withdrawals and deposits
Visa and Mastercard still remain as two of the most widely used payment methods for both deposits and withdrawals. However, other methods also include American Express and Discover Card. Aside from credit cards, you also have e-wallets such as Neteller and Skrill.
Mobile betting and betting apps
The beauty of popular gambling websites in Sweden is that they all have mobile platforms for customers who prefer to play using their phones. Some have dedicated mobile apps for both Android and iOS devices. Others just stick with a mobile-friendly website that can be accessed through your mobile browser.
No matter how to access the mobile services of the online bookmaker, you will receive an equal experience and betting options.
Safety and Security
Since Sweden is rather meticulous when it comes to screening gambling websites, the big players in the sector do make it a point to give priority to safety and security for customers.
Is Customer Support good enough for players from Sweden?
Sweden’s standards when it comes to gambling are pretty high, so companies have to be up to the mark. Customer support is good enough for customers in Sweden since platforms do strive hard to compete in the tight competition within and beyond the region.
Which are the best paying betting sites in Sweden?
The top three betting sites in Sweden are Bwin, Unibet and 22bet.
What are the best live betting sites in Sweden?
So far, Bwin is very well-known for its high quality live betting system. William Hill also comes pretty close when it comes to live betting.
Are free bets offered to Swedish players?
Yes, Sweden free betting is often provided to customers in the form of bonuses – especially welcome bonuses.
Is cricket popular in Sweden?
Cricket is a widely betted sport among Swedish players. However, football, horse betting, and ice hockey still remain at the top for punters from Sweden. Cricket does have its own market to cater to.
Are casinos in Sweden as popular as online betting?
Yes, it is. In fact, the 55% who are active gamblers in Sweden play in both the casino sections and online betting sections of their preferred gambling websites.
Are offshore sports betting websites more popular than local ones?
According to data from 2015, 23% of the total money spent on gambling was used on offshore casinos while 42% was used in local casinos. That said, local gambling companies are still in high demand compared to offshore ones. That may change when more offshore companies start competing in the region.
Interesting Facts (Did you know that...)
- Aside from the Swedish Gambling Authority, another body, Svenska Spel, is responsible for the monitoring of ethical business and marketing practices as well as the data protection of the gambling companies.
- Addiction doesn’t seem to be that big of a problem in Sweden. In fact, Sweden’s Public Health Agency estimates that only 2% of the gambling population have addiction problems.
- Swedish players prefer to use a credit card and bank transfers for funding their accounts, 42% report that they prefer to use credit cards as their payment method, while 35% prefer bank transfers.
- It was the European Union that pressured Sweden to create a gambling act and gambling commission because of the growing demand for gaming services. That’s why they set up the Gambling Act in 2018.
Are There Any Restrictions for Players from Sweden?
While there are generally no restrictions for players in Sweden, offshore websites do not have access to the Swedish market if ever they don’t have a Swedish license. So international brands cannot simply market their website or get players to register unless they have the proper legal permission. In most cases, Sweden blocks off the sites of international betting companies with no Swedish license.
The beauty of the Swedish betting market is that it’s growing at a pretty rapid pace. Because of the demand for more high-quality betting websites in the country, the Gambling Act was finalized just last year. With more concrete rules and regulations, both offshore and local gambling websites can flourish. This allows Swedish punters to have a lot of options as to which gambling websites they want to indulge themselves in.