Which are the TOP bookmakers in Austria and where to bet safely?
Which are the best betting website in Austria and what these companies have to offer to its Austrian customers? Discover the answers to these questions by reading our full overview of Austria’s gambling industry.
- Population: A country comprised of nine federated states, the Republic of Austria has a total area of 83,879 square kilometres of land, with Vienna as its largest city and capital. As per the recent data available, the number of people within their borders has reached up to 8.9 million, with a nominal gross domestic product of $477 billion.
- Active players: Gambling, gaming and betting have been legalised, but the industry remains to be heavily regulated by the government. The activity has been permitted in the country, so both real-world and online gambling is made available, with 9, 380,000 active players on the internet alone.
- Currency: After signing the Schengen Agreement in 1995, Austria has officially adopted the Euro currency four years later.
- Regulated gambling products: Mainly, the four legalised and regulated gambling products in Austria include casino gaming, betting, and fantasy league betting like lotteries and social/skill arrangements which include social gaming with no prizes of money’s worth and skill competitions without the element of chance.
- Operator types: There are two main types, namely land-based casinos – the basic and traditional service provider –and online bookmakers – foreign and local operators putting up shop for gambling enthusiasts online.
- Designated authority: Gambling activities, both in the digital and land-based form, are regulated by the Federal Minister of Finance which is tasked to enforce the Austrian Gambling Act (GSpG), grant licences, and preserve the gaming monopoly, unless an increase of tax revenue warrants changes.
- Status: Austria has a rich tradition in gambling and betting. Thus the government has imposed strict rules and regulations to maintain social responsibility, prevent money laundering, and impose a sense of accountability to players and operators alike. Currently, however, it is still “grey” in the market, because although a licencing system is taking root, foreign operators can still put up a business without being tracked.
Top 3 Foreign Bookmakers in Austria
This bookie 22Bet was established in 2018 and is relatively new to the scene, but it has grown rapidly in European countries and has gained prominence all over the world. With that, it has no country restrictions, thus accepting registrations worldwide, including Austria. Here, players can delve into online casinos, poker, live dealers, slot products, and sports betting – with a selection that includes football, boxing, tennis, and cricket in Austria, to name a few.
With its extremely high odds in Austria, quick withdrawals, and exceptional bonuses, 22bet assures players that they only get the best gaming experience possible.
The Russian company 1xbet is another relatively young bookie which has gained a standing as one of the go-to websites for online sports betting due to its wide selection of events, reliable bet processing systems, and high odds. It even offers the opportunity to participate and play on live betting sessions which is a great experience that cultivates a growing interest in sports competitions. It also strives to foster long-term affiliations with their customers as a bookmaker with their high-quality assistance and personal communication approach.
Going strong for 20 years in the scene, Pinnacle offers the highest max bet limits and low-margin odds for your Austrian gambling preferences. It has as well-gained fame as the home of betting for eSports – a now growing industry competing with sports itself. While some bookies keep your wins at a minimum, this bookie allows you to keep playing all the while providing you educational content that can teach you about point spread betting and betting points in Austria to help you make the most out of the experience.
Important Things to Know About Betting Sites in Austria
- Betting environment
Both land-based and online betting is made legal within the borders of Austria, provided that the operators are licensed and duly regulated. More land-based companies in Austria had transitioned to online casinos and betting sites that allow them to operate and provide service only to the Austrian community. However, the young licencing system still can’t completely oversee the online market, leading to foreign bookies trying to attract players that are discouraged by legal roadblocks and tedious requirements.
The number of bookies for a country as small as Austria is quite high, but a good percentage of them remain without a licence, allowing them to remain undetected by the government. This is due to the licencing system still being in its formative years. The market is also growing more diverse, so there are options for every kind of player and preference.
As stated by the Austrian law, only the operators of gambling establishments, both online and land-based, are required to hold a licence valid for 15 days. The lottery market licence was issued solely to Österreichische Lotterien Gesellschaft m.b.H, thus monopolising it under the Federal Constitution Act of Austria. The casino market alongside the sports betting market is not classified as a monopoly. Online gambling, however, is partially considered to belong to the lottery monopoly.
- Active Players
The gambling scene is big in Austria, with 2,329,000 active players out of their 8,857,960 total population – that’s one gambler out of 4 people.
- Key Info for Players in Austria
Many Austrian punters opt for foreign bookies mainly because odds are higher, bonuses are better, and the markets are diverse. Also, the licencing system still hasn’t gotten to the entire foreign bookie market, making this environment more lenient and less strict when it comes to regulations.
- Gambling Taxes and Players’ Safety
As for tax and compulsory levies, both stakes and winnings will be deducted somehow, whether the operators have an Austrian licence or not. Technically, it applies to games of chance as defined in the Federal Gambling Act.
Stakes when betting, whether online or offline, are taxed at 2% while lottery games are taxed from 2% – 27.5%. For online gaming, there is a 40% tax rate on gross gaming revenue or GGR while land-based casinos have a 30% tax rate. Slot machines and products are taxed from 10% – 30% on NGR (Net Gaming Revenue) with additional municipal fees. Other games of chance that are offline are taxes at 16% for each stake.
Sports Betting in Austria: An Overview
Austria takes a liberal approach to sports betting even when they had placed gambling operators under strict regulations, especially now that the licensing system is pushing through. However, betting shops aren’t usually a part of the national gaming monopoly as they set up with individual licences under the state of their choice. This has led to the growth of the sports betting market.
One useful Austria betting tips is that you should first choose a shop that is legitimised because the lesser accountability of unlicensed operators run the risk of you losing money.
What Kind of Odds Format Is Used in Austria?
The Austrian Bundesliga expresses their winning odds through American, decimal, and fractional formats. Each of them works towards a different approach and goal.
Available Betting Markets in Most Bookmakers
The betting market offered by foreign bookmakers cover a huge variety and are more diverse and more innovative than domestic ones. Sports betting is specifically strong in the Austrian gambling community, especially towards ice hockey, football, and rugby.
An easy-to-understand interface actually does well in keeping a customer hooked to a bookie. That is why bookmakers provide only the best user experience by making their websites easy to navigate and by placing all the main information in the most accessible areas.
Bonuses and Promotions for bettors from Austria
Many foreign bookies, both old and new, are taking turns in the market chart. However, with their growing number, choosing which bookie to play with is becoming more difficult. With that, welcome bonuses become generally appealing and are the main entrance point for Austrian players.
Live Betting, Live Streaming & Cash-Out Features
Live betting and streaming had become increasingly famous throughout a number of international bookies, and this has sparked a renewed interest of players towards sports and e-gaming. Bookmakers also offer cash-out features that allow Austrian players to gain instant access to their winnings via withdrawals as a mark of legitimacy.
Online Casinos in Austria
Online casinos and any form of gambling done over the internet in Austria can be considered legal as long as the operators had complied with the requirements for licencing and regulation.
Available Methods for Withdrawals and Deposits
The Austrian gambling scene has several popular methods of payment used for online transactions, some of which are as follows:
- Credit cards
- Sofort Kredit Österreich
Mobile Betting and Betting Apps
Mobile betting takes up almost 50% of all online betting transactions since it is the more accessible and portable means of gambling. Online bookmakers usually make their services available through downloadable apps.
Safety and Security
Austrian gambling laws incorporate several concerns that aim to keep the players and their accounts safe and secure. This includes the following codes:
- Austrian Civil Code
- E-Commerce Act
- Unfair Competition Act
- Federal Gaming Act
- Austrian Criminal Code
- Anti-Money Laundering Act
The government also imposes rules that prohibit advertising to minors that may lead to MLMs or multi-level Marketing, most commonly known as pyramid schemes.
Is Customer Support good enough for players from Austria?
The best of online betting in Austria offer a 24/7 customer assistance and support while land-based casinos usually operate at 24/7, 364 days a year – excluding the 25th of December.
How does an online bookmaker work?
Online bookies facilitate online gambling and betting by accepting bets and offering low margins to provide the odds of best value to their players.
How do I register to a bookie?
In order to start gaming or betting, you must first fill out a form, provide a valid ID, and an official supporting document. After a site has verified and approved your application, your account will be verified, and you can then experience the gambling scene.
Are my winnings taxed?
Winning on gaming and betting in Austria are taxed and levied at some degree, regardless of whether they have an Austrian licence or not. For online gaming, there is a 40% tax rate on gross gaming revenue or GGR while land-based casinos have a 30% tax rate. However, this is a transaction between the operator and the government.
Is matched betting allowed in Austria?
Many local and foreign betting sites with wider coverage allow Austrian players to enjoy Austria matched betting. Just look for the bookie that can rake your profits and use a matched betting VPN for some risk-free fun.
How do I cancel a bet?
You can’t. Once a bet has been placed and confirmed by the system, it cannot be cancelled.
Can I change the currency in my account?
You may change it as long as your account still hasn’t been funded. Contact the website’s customer service for more specific instructions and particular requirements regarding this arrangement.
Is sports betting legal in Austria?
Yes, sports betting is legal and regulated by a competent government authority in Bundeslander, which is also responsible for granting licenses. This can be done both online and through live betting in Austria.
- Twelve of the largest casinos in Austria including Casino Baden – the largest casino in Europe – are all owned by the Casinos Austria chain. Austria is also its most prioritised market.
- Poker is a strong game in the country, making Austria the poker district of Europe. Bingo, however, is not that popular.
- Bitcoin gambling is available in Austria.
- Gambling is so embedded in the culture of Austrians that it has gained a high rate of gambling addiction and corruption among its players.
- During the early stages of online gambling in Austria, the government implemented incredibly strict guidelines that the European Union had to intervene as to why even advertising was prohibited.
Are There Any Restrictions for Players from Austria?
The Austrian government are not involved with the gambling practices of the players, provided that the operators comply with the full legal requirements for the licence. Minors are generally prohibited access and entrance to betting premises, slot machine arcades, and land-based casinos. Lotteries, however, allow minors to participate while lottery monopoly allows access to above the legal age of 18.
Not every country with a penchant for gambling has access to outlets that are government-regulated like Austria. The reward that comes with their strict rules and regulations had given players a venue to experience and enjoy activities that not only provide entertainment but also as a form of nation-building. Taxes derived from these state-regulated activities are used as funding for Austrian health and welfare, arts and culture, and overall improvement of their quality of life.
The government also had done its part in maintaining the quality of gambling despite the licencing monopoly. It turns out that this initiative has increased the operators’ accountability and the players’ social responsibility, thus making the gambling market of Austria more efficient. In this case, we can look forward to a more advanced scene for gaming and betting in the near future.